UFC 289 event was headlined by a women’s bantamweight title fight between Amanda Nunes and Irene Aldana.
Amanda Nunes (23-5 MMA) was originally slated to have a trilogy fight with Julianna Pena at tonight’s event, but ‘The Venezuelan Vixen’ was forced to withdraw from the contest due to injury. ‘The Lioness’ had of course defeated Pena to reclaim the women’s bantamweight world title in her most previous effort at UFC 277.
Meanwhile, Irene Aldana (14-7 MMA) entered this evening’s headliner sporting a two-fight win streak, having earned Octagon victories over Yana Santos and Macy Chiasson in her most previous efforts. The 35-year-old was getting her first opportunity at UFC gold tonight in Vancouver.
UFC 289 main event proved to be a one-sided affair. Amanda Nunes dominated Irene Aldana for all five rounds and battered the challenger with jabs and ground and pound. After twenty-five minutes of GOAT work, ‘The Lioness’ was awarded the unanimous decision victory. Following the win, Nunes shocked fans by announcing her retirement from MMA.
Official UFC 289 Results: Amanda Nunes def. Irene Aldana by unanimous decision (50-44, 50-44, 50-43)
Check out how the pros reacted to ‘Amanda Nunes vs. Irene Aldana’ below:
Post-fight reactions to Amanda Nunes defeating Irene Aldana at UFC 289:
UFC 289 Highlights: MAIN CARD
- Amanda Nunes def. Irene Aldana via unanimous decision (50-44×2, 50-43)
- Charles Oliveira def. Beneil Dariush via TKO: R1, 4.10
- Mike Malott def. Adam Fugitt via submission: R2, 1.06
- Dan Ige def. Nate Landwehr via unanimous decision (29-28×2, 30-27)
- Marc-Andre Barriault def. Eryk Anders via unanimous decision (30-27×3)
- Chris Curtis vs. Nassourdine Imavov ends in no contest (accidental headbutt): R2, 3.04
- Jasmine Jasudavicius def. Miranda Maverick (29-28×3)
- Aiemann Zahabi def. Aori Qileng via KO: R1, 1.04
- Kyle Nelson def. Blake Bilder via unanimous decision (30-27×2, 29-28)
EARLY PRELIMINARY CARD
- Stephen Erceg def. David Dvorak via unanimous decision (29-28×2, 30-27)
- Diana Belbita def. Maria Oliveira via unanimous decision (30-27×2, 29-28)